A3 Use Class Restaurant & Cafes

The A3 Use class incorporates restaurants and cafés (For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises – restaurants, snack bars and cafes).

Please also see:

A4 Drinking establishments – Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not nightclubs) including drinking establishments with expanded food provision.

A5 Hot food takeaways – For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises

While many changes of use involving an A3 use and particularly any physical changes to buildings will require planning approval, there are several permitted development options from A3 use, including to A2 or A1. It is also possible to create such a such either from A1, A2 or Sui Generis (including betting shops, payday loan shops and Agricultural buildings) to A3 (with limitations on size and requiring Prior Approval). Professional advice and clarification from the Council should be undertaken before any works undertaken.

A3 Use Class Restaurant & Cafes

The following case studies provide a small sample of the different types of A3 Use Class (Restaurant & Cafes) we have been involved with.

A3 Use Class Restaurant Listed Building Development

Change of Use of Grade II Listed Church to A3 Use (restaurant and wine bar)

The existing edge of town centre building, in North Wales, had become redundant and a new sustainable use was sought. The proposals met with substantial local objections including Local Councillors using the local press to influence the decision. The Council refused planning permission on the grounds that the application proposals would have an adverse effect on the free flow of traffic and highway safety and that it would have a detrimental affect on the viability and vitality of the town centre.

The planning appeal was submitted and successfully justified the various refusal reasons, including the Councils suggestion that the change of use would have a detrimental effect on the viability of the town. The Planning Inspector accepted all of our arguments and the appeal was allowed.

Local Planning Authority: Denbighshire County Council

see also: A3 Restaurants/ Cafes; D2 Assembly & Leisure; A4 Drinking Establishments; Listed Buildings; Community Facilities; Historic Buildings & Heritage

Share this page:

Follow by Email


This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon.
The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ.
Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out.