C2 Use Class – Residential institutions

The C2 Use Class (Residential Institutions) has two parts, with the second part (C2A use) being for secure institutions:

Within the main C2 use class, uses such as residential care homes, nursing homes, hospitals, boarding schools, colleges and training centres.

The difference between D1 Use Class (Non-residential institutions) is that with a C2 use there is an element of people staying/ living.

The C2A use incorporates prisons (and detention centres etc), secure training/ custody centres, secure hospitals, military barracks etc.

Specialist advice should be required to determine the correct use category and whether planning permission is required for any use, change of use or works to the relevant buildings.

C2 Use Class Residential Institutions

The following case studies provide a small sample of the different types of C2 Use Class (Residential Institutions including care homes, hospitals, nursing homes etc) projects we have been involved with.

C2 Use Class Nursing Home Extension

Substantial Extension and Remodelling of existing Nursing Home (C2 Use), North Wales

The site had been extended piecemeal several times over its history. We were appointed to take an holistic view on the site as a whole to rationalise and remodel the existing C2 Use residential care home whilst investigating the possibility of adding additional bedroom accommodation.

Ultimately a 40% increase in the bedroom numbers was achieved, by working closely with the planning and highways departments and developing creative and robust proposals.

Local Planning Authority: Flintshire County Council

C2 Use Class Residential Care Home Change of Use

Conversion and Change of Use to (C2 Use) Residential Home for Adults with Autism in Stockport, Cheshire.

Designed for young adults with autism, the building is situated within a Conservation Area in Stockport, nestled in a quiet, tree-lined Victorian avenue. Over three floors this property provides spacious, attractive accommodation for up to six people. There is a range of accommodation options, which include bedrooms with en-suite facilities, studio style rooms and sensory bedrooms as well as a range of communal and personal living rooms.

Local Planning Authority: Stockport Council

Share this page:

Follow by Email


This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon.
The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ.
Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out.