Listed Building Consent

Listed Building Consent is required for any alterations, extensions or demolition of a listed building if it affects the character or appearance “as a building of special architectural or historic interest”. 

Listed Buiding Consent is also required where works are carried out within the curtilage of a listed building which often covers a wider scope than the physical or ownership boundaries.

Appointing experienced planning and conservation professionals at the outset of any project is essential to minimise delays, costs and to ensure the appropriate consents are secured as failure to do so could result in a criminal conviction.

Liaising with the Local Planning Authority Conservation Officer is an essential part of the process to discuss whether planning permission is required and what might be acceptable.

In considering granting Listed Building Consent, the LPA will give attention “to the desirability of preserving the building, its setting and those features which make it special”. For more information please see the Historic England website or contact us for more information.

Listed Building Consent

The following case studies provide a small sample of the different types of listed building consent and schemes we have been involved with.

Listed Building Consent A3 Use Church

Change of Use of and Listed Building Consent for Grade II Listed Church to A3 Use (restaurant and wine bar)

The existing edge of town centre building, in North Wales, had become redundant and a new sustainable use was sought. The proposals met with substantial local objections including Local Councillors using the local press to influence the decision. The Council refused planning permission and Listed Building Consent on the grounds that the application proposals would have an adverse effect on the free flow of traffic and highway safety and that it would have a detrimental effect on the viability and vitality of the town centre.

The planning appeal was submitted and successfully justified the various refusal reasons, including the Councils suggestion that the change of use would have a detrimental effect on the viability of the town. The Planning Inspector accepted all of our arguments and the appeal was allowed.

Local Planning Authority: Denbighshire County Council

see also: A3 Restaurants/ Cafes; D2 Assembly & Leisure; A4 Drinking Establishments; Change of Use; Community Facilities; Historic Buildings & Heritage

Listed Building Consent Self Build Home

Replacement of derelict Grade II listed Farmhouse (Listed Building Consent for demolition)

Contemporary dwelling in open countryside in addition to being Carbon Neutral.

Creating a modern twist of the traditional and vernacular local architecture.

Replacing Grade II listed farmhouse. Listed Building Consent granted for demolition


Local Planning Authority: Mid Suffolk Council

see also: see also: Self Build Homes; TPO’s; Paragraph 55/ 79 Homes

Grade II Listed Building Consent House Extension

Extension to Grade II Listed Building following refused planning consent.

The Council refused planning permission and Listed Building Consent on several grounds including the impact on the character of the Conservation Area and the designs having a detrimental impact on the Grade II Listed Building. We successfully argued that the proposals would bring a degree of cohesion and balance to the later additions and that the design would not affect their historical legibility or harm any original fabric. The Planning Inspector agreed that the original layout of the building has been substantially altered and that the designs would not lead to “incongruent additions“. In relation to the Conservation Area, the Council had argued that the proposals would cause inherent harm, however, the Planning Inspector disagreed and confirmed our understanding of policy and agreed that the proposals would preserve the character and appearance of the Conservation Area.

Local Planning Authority: Trafford Council

see also: House Extensions; Conservation Area

Grade I Listed Building Consent House Extension

Single Storey Side Extension adjacent to Conservation Area and Grade 1 Listed Church, Cheshire

The planning application for a domestic extension was initially refused planning consent due to the LPA’s view that it would cause detrimental harm to the Conservation area and adjacent Grade 1 listed church. We successfully argued that this was not the case through the Householder Appeal Service. The Planning Inspectorate agreed that the extension would not materially harm the Conservation Area or Grade 1 Listed Church and stated: ” I find the design of the appeal proposal to be acceptable in terms of the setting of the Church and the impact upon the character and appearance of the Conservation Area”.

While Listed Building Consent was not required, the impact on the Listed Building was a material consideration for the planning application.

Local Planning Authority: Cheshire East Council

see also: Listed Buildings; House Extensions; Conservation Areas

Listed Building Consent Apartments

Conversion of Locally Listed Property into seven bespoke, high quality apartments

The existing, unique, property which sits in substantial mature grounds has become too large for family life and a sensitive scheme was developed to create individual, bespoke residential apartments, many with their own front door and private external space.

Listed Building Consent was not required for this project, but the Conservation Officer was heavily involved with the details as it had a local listing designation.

Project Challenges: sensitive intervention with existing building; utilising existing structure and window openings, creating individual units and identity. A building of Local Interest

Local Planning Authority: Flintshire County Council

see also: Heritage/ Historic Buildings; change of use; speculative residential; apartments



more projects added soon.

Share this page:

Follow by Email


This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon.
The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ.
Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out.