Permitted Development Rights for Extensions & Outbuildings

The rules for permitted development (i.e. building works etc that do not require planning permission) have generally become more encompassing and far-reaching, reducing the number of planning applications for smaller projects, particularly house extensions, loft conversions, conservatories etc. Whilst these rules are generally for the best, often interpretation and implementation of the rules requires careful consideration.

Depending upon the requirements of our clients and the specific nature of the proposals or context, we are able to ensure that schemes can be designed within the permitted development regulations and seek confirmation from the Local Planning Authorities accordingly.

The rules in England and Wales are currently different further confusing the issues and making it even harder for non-planning professionals to be sure of the situation.

As RTPI Chartered Town Planners we are best placed to assist with any matters relating to permitted development or the obtaining of a certificate of lawfulness. Please contact us for more information.

Permitted Development Rights for Extensions & Outbuildings

Certificate of Lawful Use (existing and proposed)

The Certificate of Lawful Use (Existing or Proposed) is a useful formal tool to prove that the use or construction works etc are lawful and/ or do not require planning permission. At Hunter Planning we are fully up-to-date with the current regulations and planning contexts and can advise fully on all matters relating to permitted development and Certificate of Lawful Use (Existing or Proposed). Please see our dedicated page for more information.

Share this page:

Follow by Email


This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon.
The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ.
Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out.