Student Accommodation

Student accommodation has changed dramatically and now generally bear little resemblance to the damp squalid properties made famous by such programmes and the Young Ones. Today purpose build properties are often purpose-built blocks and often, particularly in close proximities to large city or town centre Universities often have hundreds of units.

The purpose-built units can be quite similar to apartment schemes although generally with shared living or cooking facilities. Such developments are usually high quality with a full range of services and generally have en-suite private (or sometimes shared) bedrooms.

Alternative forms of student accommodation can be similar or even fall into the category of Houses of Multiple Occupancy and frequently are converted from existing buildings, particularly larger family homes, typically with all the students living as one family. In order to maximise the returns, many living rooms are converted into bedrooms.

Many Local Planning Authorities, particularly where there is a large student population will have dedicated policies for student accommodation developments or change of use planning applications with a limit on the number of bedroom spaces allowable or a proximity to the relevant education facilities or to prevent inappropriate accommodation either by virtue of scale or more likely location.

At Plande we can assist with a wide range of student accommodation planning issues, including the relevant justification of planning policy in a planning statement, developing the strategy for the scheme, advising and assisting to develop an appropriate planning application package, with the relevant supporting information to give your planning application the best chance of success.

Student Accommodation Planning Plande

Share this page:

Follow by Email


This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon.
The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ.
Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out.