Use Class F2 (Local Community)

Use Class F2 was recently introduced in England following the amendments to the Use Classes Order 1987 (as amended)

Class F2 (Local Community)

Class F2 (Local community) incorporates elements of the original A1 and D2 use classes and is for:

Use as—

(a) a shop mostly selling essential goods, including food, to visiting members of the public in circumstances where—

(i) the shop’s premises cover an area not more than 280 metres square, and

(ii) there is no other such facility within 1000 metre radius of the shop’s location,

(b) a hall or meeting place for the principal use of the local community,

(c) an area or place for outdoor sport or recreation, not involving motorised vehicles or


(d) an indoor or outdoor swimming pool or skating rink.


Change of use – Use Class F2

Local community uses also include shops selling essential goods, which would previously have fallen under A1 use. Such use can include the selling of food and places limits on size and distance to other similar premises.

Use class F2 examples

If you are looking at a local community (F2 use class) project, including essential goods retail, speak to the experts at Plande. We have been involved with a variety of projects at different scales including new build, extensions and mixed-use buildings comprising multiple uses.


We have been involved with a range of different locations in relation to the B1 use class including within urban areas – Town Centres, edge of town centres etc as well as other locations such as out of centre and rural locations.

Whether the project is for a sole B1 use class or a mixed-use, a separate building or part of a larger development or a single storey detached ancillary building all the way to a high-rise office block, Plande can help you to achieve planning permission for your B1 use class project – contact us today to discuss how we can help.


Disclaimer: This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon. The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ. Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out. All images used are for illustrative purposes only. Read the full disclaimer here.

Get in touch

Whether you need an expert on your team to secure permission for a major mixed-use scheme or a unique self-build home, our fresh planning insights will help you achieve your goal.