Skip to main content

Lawful Development Certificate

The Certificate of Lawfulness is a useful tool to prove that the use or construction works are lawful and/or do not require planning permission

What is a Lawful development Certificate?

Lawful Development Certificates There are two types of Lawful Development Certificate (LDC) which a local planning authority can grant:

  • Where the development refers to an existing use of land, operation or work is being carried out in breach of planning conditions being lawful for planning purposes, or;
  • Where the development refers to a proposed use of land or a building – or where work is proposed to take place in, on, under, or over the land to confirm whether it would be lawful for planning purposes.

Existing developments are covered under Section 191 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 while proposed developments  come under section 192 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Plande is an expert in applying to the local planning authority to ascertain whether an existing or proposed development is lawful for planning purposes. If it is, then a Certificate of Lawfulness will be issued.

Why Choose Plande?

The Certificate of Lawful Use (Existing or Proposed) is a useful formal tool to prove that the use or construction works etc are lawful and/ or do not require planning permission.

Plande is fully up-to-date with the current regulations and planning contexts. We advise fully on all matters relating to permitted development and Lawful Development Certificate applications and permissions.

Depending upon the requirements of our clients and the specific nature of the proposals or context, we ensure that schemes can be designed within the permitted development regulations and seek confirmation from the Local Planning Authorities accordingly. The rules in England and Wales are currently different, further confusing the issues and making it even harder for non-planning professionals to be sure of the situation.

As RTPI Chartered Town Planners we are best placed to assist with any matters relating to permitted development or the obtaining of a certificate of lawfulness. Please contact us for more information.


Contact our specialist Lawful Development Certificate team by completing the form or by one of the options below:

Get in touch

Disclaimer: This page provides an introduction only and is not a definitive statement of the law and should therefore not be relied upon. The information above relates to England only. Policies across the rest of the UK may differ. Contact your Local Planning Authority for advice and confirmation before any works are carried out. All images used are for illustrative purposes only. Read the full disclaimer here.

Get expert help

Whether you need an expert on your team to secure permission for a major mixed-use scheme or a unique self-build home, our fresh planning insights will help you achieve your goal.